One of the biggest benefits of a Whirlpool is being able to get cool water and ice directly from the fridge. Ideally, filling your glass should be as simple as pushing a button. But that won’t always be the case.
There are a few potential problems that you might encounter. For example, the water filter might need to be replaced. Or the control lock might be activated. The good news is that these are relatively simple DIY fixes. Keep reading to learn more about potential issues with your Whirlpool fridge water filter and how you can fix them.
Other Whirlpool articles:
Can I Use My Whirlpool Refrigerator Without the Water Filter?
How to Reset the Water Filer Alarm on a Whirlpool Refrigerator
How to Replace the Whirlpool Refrigerators Filter
The Water Filter Light Is On
Your water filter won’t last forever. Your Whirlpool fridge has an indicator light on the front panel to indicate when the water filter needs to be replaced. On most models, this will turn from blue to red when it’s time to replace the filter. It might also beep and flash after dispensing water.
There are a few other signs that it’s time to replace the filter; these include:
- Reducing the amount of water available. Over time, the filter will get clogged up with particulates. As a result, you won’t have the same water flow.
- Strange taste. As the particulates build up in the filter, it’s common for you to have an unpleasant taste.
Most of the time, you will need to replace the filter every six months. Though if you live in an area with a high level of water contaminants, you will need to replace the filter more frequently.
Choosing an Incorrect Water Filter
One of the most common issues is selecting the wrong water filter. If you get the wrong size or shape, it won’t fit into your machine properly. Here’s how you can find the right filter size for your Whirlpool fridge.
- Look for the water filter number. This should be printed on the old filter. You should be able to search for this on the Whirlpool website. This will allow you to find a model that is compatible with your fridge.
- Choose a genuine replacement part. You can purchase the replacement filters directly through Whirlpool. If you are looking for a way to save some money, you might want to consider going through a third-party site. Before you do this, read some reviews to make sure that you are going through a trusted site. Furthermore, check their efficiency. Just because they are compatible with your fridge doesn’t mean that they will remove contaminants as effectively as Whirlpool parts.
Changing the Water Filter
Once you have chosen a water filter, it’s time to replace it. Here are the steps to follow to do this properly:
- Locate the water filter location. Where the filter is found will vary a little, based on the type of fridge that you have. If you are having trouble finding it, you can use the owner’s manual.
- Pull out the old filter. You can take note of the model number on the filter. This will allow you to order a replacement. After this, you can discard the filter.
- Open and prepare the new filter. You need to remove the protective coverings around the O-rings. This allows the filter to form a strong connection with your fridge.
- Align the filter. It should have arrows showing you what way the filter slots into the fridge.
- Insert the filter. The filter should slide easily into place. If not, you can try rotating it and trying it from a new angle. It should snap into place.
- Flush the system. This step allows you to remove the water from the line. You will need to place a container under the dispenser nozzle and hold it for five seconds. At first, you will only get a small amount of water, as the air is forced from the system. This is normal. Remove the first four gallons of water.
Control Lock Is Activated
When you are replacing the filter, the control lock function is activated. This turns off the water supply, so the water isn’t accidentally triggered, leaving you with a large mess. However, this function doesn’t always deactivate when you have finished replacing the filter.
The control lock will appear as a padlock icon, above the lock button. If this is lit up, here are the steps you need to take:
- Hold the lock icon. You will need to hold it for between three to five seconds.
- Test the system. After five seconds, the icon should stop being illuminated. After this, you should be able to get a drink.
Resetting a Water Filter
After changing the filter, you will need to reset the filter light. In this case, here are the steps that you will need to follow:
- Press and hold the water filter reset button. This is located on a panel in front of the fridge. You will need to hold this button for three seconds.
- The indicator should turn off. To confirm the change, the fridge might beep and the light will change from red to blue.
Other Issues That Can Stop the Water Flow
If the water still isn’t flowing as you expected, there are a few other issues that you can troubleshoot:
- Incorrect dispensing method. If you want to fill your glass with water, you will need to press the glass firmly against the dispenser paddle.
- Kink in the water line. If the line that supplies water to your fridge gets twisted, it can slow the water flow through the fridge. Straightening out the line should prevent this problem.
- Water pressure is too low. This can lead to a slow water flow from the fridge. It can also be the reason why there are no ice cubes forming. You should aim to have a water pressure of between 30 to 120 psi. Often, low pressure can be caused by a kink in the line. It might also be caused because you are using a reverse-osmosis system to filter your water.
- Water line is frozen. The water line can pass through the freezer. This can cause droplets that are in the line to freeze, creating a blockage. To solve this issue, you will need to disconnect the line and use a hair dryer to warm it up, removing any ice. Once clear, you can re-attach the line.
- Check the door. The water dispenser won’t work properly if you haven’t closed the door fully. So, check that there is nothing blocking the door and stopping it from closing properly.
Most of the time, you shouldn’t have any issues with your fridge filter. Thankfully, on the rare occasions that you do encounter problems, they are usually easy to solve. If you are still having issues, you can consider calling in a plumber to take a look.