Your Whirlpool fridge will require a water filter to operate effectively. Because of this, if there is a problem with this component, you will see a warning light. So, how can you reset this water filter alarm?
To reset the alert, locate the water filter button. The owner’s manual might be required to locate the button. Then, press and hold it in for three seconds. A beeping noise, or a change to the water filter indicator color on the fridge screen, will indicate that the reset was successful.
Water filter alarms are a relatively common issue and are generally easy to deal with. Keep reading to learn why you are seeing this alert and what you should do about it.
Read my ultimate guide on refrigerator filters.
What Are the Steps to Reset a Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter Alarm?
Resetting the water filter on a Whirlpool fridge will be a relatively simple task. Though the instructions will vary a little, depending on the type of model you have. This method will generally work:
Step 1: Find the water filter button
The location will vary a little, depending on the type of model you have. Generally, though, it can be found above or below the water filter light. Sometimes, it will be found on the outside of the fridge. Some models, though, have this button inside the refrigerator. You might need to use the owner’s manual to find where the button is.
Step 2: Press and hold for three seconds
This allows you to reset the fridge. This should be accompanied by a beeping noise. At other times, the filter light will change from orange to blue. This confirms the reset has been done properly.
If you have a French-door, bottom-mounted fridge, the approach is slightly different. You will need to use the buttons on the touch-screen. In this case, you will need to push the energy saver and fast cool buttons at the same time. After three seconds, the filter will reset and the warning light should go away.
If these methods don’t reset your filter you might need to turn to the owner’s manual. This will allow you to find the right approach for your fridge.
Why Do You Need to Reset a Water Filter Alert on w Whirlpool Fridge?
Sometimes, you might have replaced the water filter but the alert is still showing. This doesn’t mean that there is a problem with the filter. In most cases, a Whirlpool fridge won’t reset the alarm automatically after the filter has been replaced. This is something that will need to be done manually.
How to Replace the Water Filter on a Whirlpool Fridge?
Before you reset the filter light, you will need to replace the filter. This is a relatively simple process. Here are the steps that you will need to follow:
- Find the right filter. The filter you need will depend on the type of Whirlpool fridge model you have. The filter you require should be listed in the owner’s manual.
- Locate the water filter cover. The location of the cover will vary a little, depending on the type of fridge you have. Generally, though, it will be in the upper right-hand corner, inside the fridge. You might need to use your owner’s manual to help you locate it.
- Open and remove the old filter. You will need to lift the filter cover up. Then, the old filter should slide out. You can throw this away.
- Removing packaging from the new filter. Your new filter will have some wrapping around the O-rings at the end of the filter. You will need to remove this.
- Slide the new filter into the slot. You will need to align the upward arrow with the slot. It should slide in easily. Though you might need to rotate it until it slots into the fridge.
- Close the filter door. The filter cover should pop back into place.
After you have put in a new filter, you will need to run some water through it, to flush it out. Often, you’ll need to use between three and four gallons. Once the water is running clear, it will be safe to start drinking.
Why Is There a Water Filter Alert on My Whirlpool Refrigerator?
There are a few reasons why you might be seeing a water filter alarm on your Whirlpool refrigerator. Some possible explanations include:
- Your water filter needs to be replaced. This is the most common reason. It’s estimated that a water filter needs to be replaced every three to six months, depending on how often you use it. Read my article about how to determine when it’s time to replace your refrigerator filter.
- Mechanical problems. Sometimes, this light can show that you are experiencing a more serious mechanical issue. In this case, you might need to call a technician to examine the fridge and identify the issue. But it’s best to check the filter and try re-setting the light first.
What Are Some Signs That the Water Filter Needs to Be Replaced?
You don’t need to wait for the water filter light to indicate that it’s time to replace the filter. There are a few warning signs that your filter might not be operating as efficiently as normal. These include:
- Water dispenser is slow. If the filter is old, it might be blocked with contaminants. This will be slowing the water flow. This is especially common if you live in an area that has a lot of minerals in the water.
- Poor water taste. Old water filters might allow the contaminants through. This can start to impact the taste of your water.
- Old water filter. In most cases, you will need to change the filter every three to nine months. This will depend on the type of fridge you have and how often you use the water dispenser.
The water filter light plays an important role in a Whirlpool fridge. It will light up when it’s time to replace an old filter, keeping your water safe. But you might still need to reset it, as this won’t happen automatically once the new filter is added. Thankfully, this is an easy process that should only take a few minutes.