Kinetico is a popular provider of water softeners with a reputation for providing exceptional products. They have also earned a reputation for their durability. But how long can you expect a Kinetico water softener to last?
Most Kinetico water softeners will last for 20 years. Though it’s not uncommon for them to last for 30 years. Elements like water hardness and the volume of water it treats will impact the lifespan. To increase longevity, it’s recommended that owners perform regular maintenance.
Kinetico is known for making products that are built to last a long time and are backed by strong warranties. But this will require owners that take good care of their units. Read on to learn more about how to ensure your Kinetico water softener has a long life.
Ultimate Guide to Water Softeners: Everything You Need to Know
What Is the Average Lifespan of a Kinetico Water Softener?
Assuming that you take care of your Kinetico water softener, it should be able to last for a long time. It’s common for them to last for 20 years. Though you might be able to find some that will last for around 30 years.
This can be compared with the lifespan of a non-Kinetico product. These will often last for between eight to 12 years, as long as you maintain them correctly.
There are a few elements that will impact how long you can expect your water softener to last. These elements include:
- Water hardness. The harder the water in your local area is, the more of a toll it will take on your machine. You can find a test in your local hardware store to measure how hard your water is.
- How often you use the system. The water usage will vary from person to person. If you are using a lot of water, you could be placing a lot of pressure on the machine.
- It’s best to regularly maintain your water softener. Pay attention to things like leaks, which can be signs that your system is starting to wear out.
How Do You Know When Your Kinetico Water Softener Is Nearing the End of Its Life?
There are a few signs that your water softener is starting to near the end of its lifespan. The warning signs include:
- Hard water spots on your dishes. You might also notice that your laundry is starting to become stiff and that your soap isn’t lathering itself properly. This is a sign of hard water in the system.
- Change in the water pressure. Sometimes, you might also detect a change in water pressure, due to sediment within the water softener. It should be noted that this doesn’t always mean that the system needs to be replaced. It can just mean that you need to maintain it.
- Poor taste. Sometimes, you might find that the taste of your tap water has started to deteriorate, this might indicate that the chemicals that the water softener is filtering out have started to creep back into the system.
These are all just warning signs. There is an easy way to get a definitive understanding of whether you need to replace the system. You can reach out to a Kinetico team member and ask them to inspect the water softener, deciding whether it can be repaired or if it needs to be replaced.
What Is the Warranty Period of a Kinetico Water Softener?
How long the warranty will last will often depend on the type of system you install. The Premium systems will come with a 10-year warranty period on all parts and the tanks. The Sulfur Guards have a seven-year warranty with the Premium version.
On the other hand, both the Signature and Essential series have a warranty period of five years on the parts and the tanks.
It should be noted that the warranty will stay with the unit, even if the original owner decides to leave the home. Read my article about how long Kinetico water softeners last.
How To Avoid Voiding the Warranty
However, there are a few circumstances where these warranties might be voided. As a result, you will have to pay for any parts and repair work required. These circumstances include:
- Installing the system yourself. In most cases, a Kinetico representative will install it for you. But if you want to save some money, you might opt to make the installation yourself. But this can mean voiding the warranty.
- Not repairing with an approved technician. If you have any problems with the system, you will need to call a Kinetico technician to fix it for you.
It should be noted that you still might have to pay for some things, even if the repair is covered by warranty. For example, you might need to pay the freight fares associated with getting the part to you.
How To Maintain a Kinetico Water Softener?
The good news is that it’s easy to keep your water softener in excellent condition. You just need to perform regular maintenance. Here are some of the tasks you will need to complete:
- Adding salt to the tank. If the water softener runs out of salt brine, it will cease to work properly. Usually, you will need to add a bag of salt brine each month. Though this might be needed more regularly if you use your water softener frequently.
- Clearing the salt bridge. Sometimes, the salt might bind together. This can create what is known as a salt bridge. The good news is that this is fairly easy to clear. You will just need to remove the salt from the cage to break it up. Clean the cage, then replace the salt.
Sometimes, you might notice that there is a more substantial problem with your water softener. In this case, it’s best to contact a Kinetico technician. They will be able to inspect the system, find the fault, and make repairs. Plus, if it’s still covered by warranty, the costs will be minimal.
There are many reasons why people choose Kinetico. But one of the biggest attractants is durability. As long as you take care of it, you can expect the system to last for around 25 to 30 years. This ensures that you get value for money from your investment.